February 01, 2009

A Dead Affair



A number of years ago I was dating a promising young architect; handsome, clever, well spoken; being in my early twenties, naturally he swept me off my feet... Of all the stories he told me, I remember one that fascinated me - he slept with his best friend's mother - at that age - this sort of 'reversed' relationship sort of appalled me... I mean, the woman must have been in her 40s...
Eighteen years and many lovers later I realize the relativity of it all. I had affairs with all kinds of men, younger, older, clever, common, fit or not. My history with the said architect has since covered almost two decades, has slipped through three marriages - two of his, one of mine. We're still running in circles, looking for the perfect moment to meet and interact. I am recalling this affair pretty often - firstly because it was my first love, secondly because it was a love that grew with me, and finally, because I learned from it the lesson of rejection .

1 comment: