July 08, 2009

I'm Not A Lesbian


I am a devoted "Seinfeld" fan; I have watched every episode a few times, and could quote endlessly... Of course I took many quizzes on "Which character of Seinfeld are you?" - and usually I end up being Elaine.
I remember the times when feminism was just a polite way of describing a 'woman of light morals'; living in a country where men have barely stepped outside of the cave ( and I am not inferring Plato's cave...) - I am so used to hearing the overly used cliche - feminists are ugly, sexually deprived women, with nothing better to do than rant about how man treat them badly.
A joke has seriously troubled my teenage years - "A husband comes home, with his buddy and without as much as a word, beats his wife. Buddy asks: Why did you do that for??? Husband replies: Don't worry, she knows why!!" To this day, I fail to understand why each and every living man I know laughs his head off at this joke. Statistics show that in my country, domestic violence is very high; guess the joke has served its purpose, transgressing metaphysics and turning into an all too convenient number.

I am privileged to have met a well-known feminist writer; I have read one of her books and followed her column in a weekly social science magazine; while we had a few cold beers, she confessed, in a light vein, about the hateful messages she is receiving - the labels go from "ugly lesbian", "fat cow", "repressed nymphomaniac", to who knows what. I wonder if awareness has by any chance increased since access to feminist theory is more available via media and literature. Judging by the sexist advertising videos, news or tv shows, I am tempted to say it's unlikely. I am appalled to visit the toys section in supermarkets - the girls shelves are packed with miniature kitchens, vacuum cleaners and grocery stores on the one side, and bimbo attires on the other - miniature beauty parlors, disco outfits and similar. Housewife or prostitute in the making? What happened to the good old "in-between"?

Anyway, back to Elaine.

Elaine: You know what your problem is? Your standards are too high.
Jerry: I went out with you.
Elaine: That's because my standards are too low.

Elaine: I'm not a lesbian. I hate men, but I'm not a lesbian.



*** To all women who can display a genuinely honest smile in a men's world.

1 comment:

  1. Dear postmodern woman,

    I am a journalist writing an article on postmodern women and found your blog entries most interesting. Would you be available for an email interview? Please contact me if so, my email address is charlottehanger@hotmail.com.

    Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete